Blog Post #18 - Lighting

   

     Before I started to film, I checked the lighting in the area too see if there are any adjustments that I needed to make. Since the first part of my movie is being filmed outside, I went out and scouted a perfect place to film the first couple of seconds of the intense and fast paced action. I determined that the lights on the front side of the houses would be perfect in the background of my scene.

Here are some steps that I took to overcome the lighting difficulties and get the shots that I needed:

  1. Using a Fill Light: If the person was not well-lit and their face was in shadow, I used a fill light to brighten up their face. A small portable light, such as a ring light or LED panel, was used to add a subtle fill light and bring out more detail in the character's face.

  2. Changing up the Camera Angle: If the lighting was too difficult to work with, I considered changing the camera angle to capture the person in a better-lit area. For example, I always considered moving to a different location or tried shooting from a different angle to take advantage of natural light.

  3. Adjusting Camera Settings: If the lighting was still not sufficient, I tried adjusting the camera settings, such as increasing the ISO or lowering the shutter speed to capture more light and improve the visibility of the person on camera.

  4. Using Post-Production Editing: If necessary, I tried post-production editing software to adjust the brightness and contrast of the footage to bring out more detail and make the person more visible on camera.

     Here is an example of a bad lighting shot that I took (and had to keep)


Comments

Popular Posts